Immersed Games, an independent educational video game developer released an expansion pack for their ecosystem simulation game, Tyto Ecology. The Tyto ecology expansion focuses on the Himalayas, going with the U.N’s World Environment Day to focus on animal trafficking. One of the main reasons that endangered species in the Himalayan region are at risk is due to animal trafficking.
Immersed Games hopes to bring attention to these crimes. For every expansion sold, $1 will be donated to the World Wildlife Fund who will work to end animal trafficking.
About Tyto Ecology
This game is a unique ecosystem simulation, where players start with an empty biodome and have to choose which plants and animals they introduce. Since various species have different roles, they have to be chosen with care. The game is challenging; players must learn how producers, consumers, detritus, decomposers, pollinators, and reproduction of these plants and animals fit into their unique ecosystem. Only by careful management and smart choices will players be able to balance their ecosystem. As they grow their ecosystem and add biodiversity, they will unlock more species so they can grow their biodome.
The Himalayas biome expansion released on Steam for the PC and Mac on June 3, the weekend of U.N. World Environment Day. Check it out here.
- Ecosystem: Complex set of relationships among the living resources, habitats, and residents of an area
- Producer: Plant or bacteria that survives by getting energy from sunlight (photosynthesis), also the first level of a food chain
- Consumer: An organism that consumes plants or other animals for energy
- Detritus: Leaves and other plant parts, animal remains, animal waste, etc.
- Decomposer: Usually a bacteria or fungus, that breaks down the cells of dead plants and animals into simpler substances
- Pollinator: An organism, usually a bug or bird, that moves pollen from the male parts of a flower to the female parts so it can be fertilized
- Biodiversity: Diversity among and within plant and animal species in an environment
Source: Games Press Tyto Ecology Press release
Like what you just read? Please help us produce quality content by supporting us on Patreon.
Latest posts by Kayla Hekimian-Williams (see all)
- Moto Racer 4 Coming Soon to PS4 & Xbox One - October 26, 2016
- Pokémon Go Announces In-Game Halloween Event - October 24, 2016
- The Walking Dead: No Man’s Land to Release Content Based on the Show’s 7th Season - October 24, 2016